Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Where Are We Now?

Death by PowerPoint

This Tuesday finds Contrast Podcast somewhat positionally challenged, as it asks the question: "Where?" The contributors valiantly try to help it out of its quandary with a characteristically eclectic slew of songs. To hear the directional fun, you can either download the 'cast here, or subscribe using the following RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ContrastPodcast.

Where am I going with this? Right here:

(00:00) Betty Boo - Where are you baby?
Tim from the face of today


(03:42) The Pixies - Where is my mind?
Natalie from Mini-Obs


(07:51) The Smiths - Nowhere fast
Jamie from The run out groove


(10:41) Digable planets - Where I’m from
Matt from Earfarm


(14:51) Bratmobile - Where eagles dare
Bob from Gimme Tinnitus


(16:57) Camper Van Beethoven - Where the hell is Bill?
FiL from Pogoagogo


(19:34) Santa Cruz - Where were you?
ZB from So the wind won’t blow it all away


(22:05) Nine Inch Nails (remixed by Danny Lohner feat. Telefon Tel Aviv) - Where is everybody?
Cindy from Adzuki bean stash


(26:57) Ted Leo - Where have all the rude boys gone?
Ross from Just Gimme Indie Rock


(31:52) Soft Cell - Where was your heart (when you needed it most) ?
Crash from Pretending life is like a song


(36:42) The Paper Chase - We know where you sleep
Alex from Totally true tales from Texas


(41:17) Iron Maiden - 22 Acacia Avenue
Waffles from Waffles radio


(48:01) Caplyn - Where did it all go wrong?
GD from Bitesize Bonus


(52:33) Mr Hopkinson’s Computer - Where is my Mind?
Simon from You can call me Betty


(56:39) Richard & Linda Thompson - Down where the drunkards roll
Tristesse from And before the first kiss


Next week's theme is 'Stick To Acting,' so trot out your favourite example of thespians trying to be musicians. You can find out how to submit your ravishing selections over here. I do so hope someone will turn up something like a lost album of Helen Mirren covering Cannibal Corpse...

And so, onto my list of also-rans, i.e. those songs that engaged in a toe-to-toe smackdown with Camper van Beethoven but lost. I present them to you in all their vanquished glory. Mock them not, for they gave it their all and only a treacherous folding chair to the head (unnoticed by Referee FiL) knocked them out of contention:

Sultans of Ping FC - Where's Me Jumper? (buy e-here)
Those Sultans pinged most magnificently on the UK scene around 1992, then went on to become relatively big in Japan. I love this frantic single more than I can really say in this family-oriented forum. However, I saw them open for The Ramones in London back in 1996, and was quite disappointed by what was quite possibly the worst performance I have ever seen. They broke up shortly thereafter, but decided to reform in 2005 and have another go at finding that jumper...

Therapy? - Nowhere (buy here or e-here)
Though I'm more partial to Therapy?'s earlier, grindier stuff (I mean, how can you beat the lyric 'James Joyce is fucking my sister' screamed at top volume??), this 1994 offering is a fine slab of pop underpinned by some fast & furious Judas-Priestian chugging. After that I sort of lost interest, but am open to reconsidering my position.

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper - Elvis is Everywhere (buy here or e-here)
He is, you know. Go on, look under your bed. I dare you.

And for the record, Betty Boo was in my death cage match as well. Seems she got chucked out of mine, but won the battle royale over round Tim's way. Hooray!

And finally, in other news, Elizabeth's Roaring Machine has produced two most impressive compilations of Joy Division covers. The first is a glorious amalgam of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' versions, and the second a fantastic smorgasbord of stabs at 'Ceremony.' Talk about the sweetest ache.

Right, I've settled into the sofa with a nice cuppa builder's tea and am about to watch "End Of The Century: The Story Of The Ramones." Hey ho, let's go!! Oh, alright, since you asked so nicely, here's a gratuitous track by Da Bruddas:

The Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop (buy da choonz here, and the DVD here)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Mr FiL. I think you made the best choice for the cast considering that it meant you could record such a beautifully sung intro. I like to think of you playing with Armadillos :)

Anonymous said...

But, really, where the hell IS Bill?

Thanks for pointing me to the Roaring Machine and the Joy Division covers. I'm totally enamoured by Jose Gonzalez's cover of LWTUA.

Anonymous said...

You have a fantastic baritone (I think), FiL. Maybe I'll let you into my shoegaze band.

Thanks for the Joy Division nod, also. The covers really will stay up until Valentine's Day, because I am that sick in the head.

Concrete Circles said...

Where the hell is FiL? Haha. I love it.

Anonymous said...

FiL is right here with me in his parka and we're mod ska dancing to the Backstreet Boys' cover of "She's Lost Control".

Anonymous said...

Your introduction was priceless. I will never ever hear that song again without thinking of you!!

Anonymous said...

OK. Someone is having a MAJOR nostalgia attack in his musical musings.

"Where's me jumper?" and "Elvis is Everywhere" - Oh mi subcommandante!! I think I have the first on at least two separate mix tapes from a certain UK radio station and the latter is burnt into the brain via the many shots of tequila that always accompanied that song.

But the truth for you all - is that Elvis is really FiL. Elvis Platypus, that is, star of the musical phenomenon of Angst Ridden Platypi!

The Iguana lives.

FiL said...

Argh! Delinquent FiL responds far too late to be excused!! I grovel...

Dearest Tim: Thank you for your flattery. It will get you anywhere!

Dearest Nats: You are MOST welcome! And no idea as yto William's whereabouts...

Dearest Elizabeth: Me? In your band?? Ooh, that WOULD be grand!

Dearest Andy: I'll let you know when (if) I find out...

Dearest Beesh: Well there you go, thanks for finding him!

Dear JC: Many thanks for the undue compliment!

Dearest Eliot: Sigh, nostalgia indeed. And yes, the Platypi give fond memories. Perhaps a Spinal Tappian reunion someday, hmm??