How to tell if you're at a GWAR concert at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver:
- Despite a widely advertised smoking ban, a fug of pot smoke hangs over the audience, more pungent than you would find at any hippyfest.
- There are large demons onstage with instruments, musical and other.
- They play screamingly fast & loud thrash metal with a satirical (if juvenile) edge.
- The show revolves around a storyline that pits GWAR against various contenders for the Intergalactic Wrestling Championship Belt.
- Within the space of fifteen minutes two of the contenders, Barack Obama and John McCain, are beheaded and flayed/disemboweled, respectively.
- As a direct result of point 5 (supra), you are covered from head to toe in blood. Plus you get some in your mouth because you’re laughing.
- You find yourself singing along to “Bring Back The Bomb.”
- You keep tripping over shoes lost in the mosh pit, and you’re grateful for your eight-hole Doc Martens.
- The nice people who fling you into the mosh pit are only too glad to pick you up when you fall. They even offer you their joints, which you have to decline on account that you need to drive home.
- You can’t wait until GWAR come back next year on their 25th anniversary tour.
GWAR - Bring Back The Bomb (buy here)