Saturday, October 21, 2006

Caught By The Fuzz



Dear Friends, what shame has befallen our family! We are now outlaws, doomed to live the rest of our days with the Mark of Cain upon our foreheads...

Let me explain. The other day Dearest Father-In-Law set off in his motorcar. He turned right out of his street onto a divided highway (that's a dual carriageway for those of you in the UK and Ireland), proceeded west to the next intersection, then did a u-turn to head east on the other side of the median strip.

Alas, this was an illegal maneuver, and there happened to be a mountie, clad in a red serge tunic and stetson, sitting ramrod straight on his steed at the side of the road. After a brief galloping pursuit, during which Dearest Father-In-Law threw handfuls of oats and carrots out the window in an attempt to distract the horse, the mountie overtook the motorcar and forced it to stop. He then towed it to the nearest frontier post, where Dearest Father-In-Law is currently languishing in gaol.

And that's exactly how it happened.*

*Well, almost. Apart from the fact that the mountie was really dressed in a thorougly modern duty uniform and drove a patrol car. And that there was no pursuit; Dearest Father-In-Law pulled over in an orderly fashion. And he's not in prison, but his wallet is somewhat lighter due to the hefty fine. Otherwise, it was just like I said it was...

Judas Priest - Breaking The Law (buy here)
The Clash - Police On My Back (buy here)
Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves (buy here)
Supergrass - Caught By The Fuzz (buy here)
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (live at San Quentin) (buy here)

6 comments:

Mentok said...

After reading this, I was worried your father-in-law might have been that 81 year old man who got roughed up by the coppers on Vancouver Island.

Did you see that story? The guy looks and sounds like Dumbledore.

Well, ultimately, the police are the hired goons of society. ;-)

Anonymous said...

i like this, coz from judas priest to johnny cash, it pretty much covers it all.

and it just goes to show you that anything and everything can be the inspiration for a post!

Anonymous said...

Tut tut dearest B,

What happened to "I fought the law and the law won?"

Much love

Anonymous said...

hehehe

hehehe

For a moment you had me going...I am quite gullable truth be told.

This gave me a little chuckle and I needed one. (who doesn't?)

Poor Father-In-Law I am sure he would like to have his own road like I so dearly wish I had right about now. I can see if I can swing it for him. ;)

Great selection of songs to accompany your Father-In-Law's trouble with the law. Hope the fine wasn't too terrible.

FiL said...

Dearest Mentok: Egads, I had not seen that story. Rather worrying. Being charitable, it sounds like a very bad judgement call by the officers involved. And I shan't pass on your comment to Dearest Father-In-Law - he's well under 81... ;-)

Dearest Marcy: Indeed, inspiration can strike in the oddest circumstances!

Dearest T&F: Yes, I considered that track, but didn't want to overdo The Clash.

Dearest Rachel: One's own private road - what a great idea! Just be sure to put up some "Armadillo Xing" signs. The fine was rather hefty - under $200, but above $100...

A. B. Chairiet said...

"Otherwise, it was just like I said it was..."

Mmm...McCourting. ;)

I'm so sorry your father in law got caught. :)